Friday, July 23, 2010

Flash Back Friday - Beauty


This poem was written on July 20th, 2004 so I thought that being so close to the current date this would be a good reflection. When I was younger, especially in my later teen years I struggled a lot with confidence in both my appearance and my abilities. I know this is a very common issue with young girls but, even women of all ages. Media is constantly depicting supermodel thin and seemingly flawless women and as a result, us normal gals can't help but get down on ourselves from time to time. Getting older for me has been liberating. Has it been that way for any of you? I'm not exactly sure why this is but, I know a big part of it for me is that God taught me patiently year after year what really matters in life and now I don't focus on those things that used to weigh me down. For those of you who do still struggle with insecurities and lies about your image and who you are my heart and prayers go out to you. Trust me, I know how awful those mental battles are! I hope that someday the Lord guides you to a place of peace by showing you how beautiful you are both inside and out. What this world considers beautiful...the Lord could care less about. He cares about your heart and that is where true beauty resides. I know that sounds so cliche but, I have found that it is VERY true! I also know that it is easy to say these things but, much harder to believe them. I don't like to or need to look in mirrors much these days. Even on my wedding day I chose not to spend any time in front of the mirror except when I put some lip gloss on really quick before walking up the aisle. Why? For me I have found that mirrors lie. They don't tell me who I am or how much God loves me. More often than not they like to point out all of my imperfections and taunt me with them. I don't need that in my life! Can I just encourage all of you ladies both young and old that you are BEAUTIFUL, RADIANT and priceless to the King of Kings!! There are none fairer in all the land than you! :-) Every time you look into a mirror and it taunts you with lies, you get right back in it's face and tell it that you are gorgeous, amazing, perfect and loved just as you are. You may not believe it now but someday, if you say it enough, you will!

God showed me very clearly one day that I can focus all day long on what I wish I looked like or what talents I wish I had but, those same people that I might envy or long to look like or be more like...are no different than me and they to are comparing themselves to others all the time. It's all just a big rabbit trail! It was odd how powerful this revelation was for me at the time that I received it. Ultimately, God designed us to be exactly who we are and He loves you dearly, so hopefully you can take some comfort in that. Below is my poem from years back. Be blessed today all you gorgeous gals!

I

I want to be
Everything
That I'm not.
But if I were
Not who I am,
I would wish
To be
Everything
That I was.


1 Samuel 16:7 - "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

Proverbs 31:30 - "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting: but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

P.S. I just had to choose the Daisy flower picture to depict beauty. After all, it is my perfect and beautiful daughter's name:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.