Thursday, September 24, 2009

A very sick puppy

For those who are wondering: Our little pup has been very sick since Sunday afternoon. We came home from church on Sunday to find that Dakota had drenched her entire towel with throw up, she had rubbed the top of her nose off in irritation with the smell in her crate which added blood to the scene and she had pooped in the crate as well. We weren't quite sure what to think initially so we thought maybe she had a minor stomach upset that would pass,but unfortunately she has gotten progressively worse over the past several days. Monday Dakota threw up over a dozen times both all over our carpet and a few times outside. They weren't small messes either if I might add. She wouldn't eat or drink aside from some chicken broth which she kept down for an hour only to throw up in the afternoon. I ended up rushing her to the vet when I got off work on Monday and they gave her a IV of water since she had gotten so dehydrated and they gave her a shot with anti-nausea medication. She pretty much slept from Monday night until Wednesday night only waking up occasionally to take small sips of water but, she never touched her food. Today is day 4 or 5 depending on how you look at it and she is still refusing to eat though I have been able to force (nicely) a tiny bit of food into her mouth and make her eat it and she has picked at her food a little then only to drop the food on the ground out of her mouth. Today, Thursday, I was making Joey a delicious lunch in the kitchen where we have Dakota penned off and she had her first bowel movement since Sunday...diareah all over the kitchen floor. I have never smelled anything so foul in all my life and my amazing husband took over and cleaned up the mess before I added any pregnancy puke to the scene. I cannot thank him enough!! I'm not sure if the bowel movement is a good sign or not. I think it means that Dakota does not have a blockage in her tummy which make me very happy but, it shows me that she is still very sick and now she has nothing in her stomach. I have called the vet again and am waiting for their call but, please Kota in your prayers as well as us as we cannot afford anymore insane vet bills right now. We are hoping for a miracle here! I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Casey dear, your puppy and you guys are in our prayers. We have had this situation and many similar before and having your "baby" sick is NO fun at all! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this on top of pregnancy and the hum drums of every day life. Praying for the entire family! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.